Thank you for your interest in learning more information about our great student volunteers! We hope to have you on-board! Below are some answers to our frequently asked questions. To learn ALL you need to know about the student volunteers please review the Student Volunteer Manual.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I need to be at the Auditorium for the show?
Call time for volunteers is 90 minutes before the event begins, and ushers are free to watch the event they worked or take off once the event has begun.
Is there a dress code?
Yes! Our dress code has been established to give a sense of continuity to the usher corps and to make ushers easily identifiable to our patrons. If you do not already own these items, you will need to acquire them before your first performance.
Women, please wear…
- Black skirt or slacks
- Skirts should be straight or gently flared skirts, knee, or suit length. Please do not wear floor or full-length skirts, jeans, shorts, or miniskirts.
- White, short or long-sleeved dress blouse with collar that is long enough to wear tucked in. Please do not wear polo shirts, blouses with colored appliqué, jackets, vests, sweatshirts, or scarves.
- Black or off-black hose or socks.
- Black close-toed dress shoes. Please do not wear boots, sneakers, or flip-flops.
- All white cardigan is optional for cold weather.
Men, please wear…
- Black dress slacks. Please do not wear jeans.
- White dress shirt, with collar, that is long enough to wear tucked in. Please do not wear band collared shirts or polo shirts.
- Plain, dark tie.
- Black, ‘shine-able,’ closed-toed dress shoes. Please do not wear boots, sneakers, or white socks.
Is parking provided for ushers?
No. There are several parking facilities around campus, surface lots, and metered parking in the Herman B Wells library lot near the Auditorium. Please allow ample time to find parking and/or ride the campus shuttle before you arrive for check-in. If you arrive after the pre-show meeting has begun you may not be permitted to stay.
What if I am unable to work an event for which I am scheduled?
Of course, things happen from time to time that may prevent you from attending an event for which you are scheduled. In these cases, it is essential that you notify us 24 hours prior to the start of the event by emailing [email protected] or calling (812) 855-1968.
Can I usher for volunteer credit for a class or extra-curricular activity?
You are more than welcome to volunteer for credit for a class or extra-curricular activity. It is the usher’s responsibility to get any documents signed by the Guest Services Manager to approve and confirm all volunteer hours served at the Auditorium.
What will I be expected to do as an usher?
As an usher, you arrive 90 minutes (an hour and a half) before each performance and are assigned to a team to assist our managers with tasks. Our teams are the curb, foyer, and seating teams.
If you did not find the answer to your question here, please e-mail [email protected].
“When I first came to college, I found it difficult to meet people, even those on my own floor. But I saw a flier for ushering at the Auditorium, and thought I would give it a try. I have been ushering for 2 years now and it has been the best decision I have made thus far. From the dance parties, to the spring banquet, the Auditorium has become one of my favorite places on campus and has given me many treasured memories.”